Published and promoted by Mike Booth, on behalf of Kew Ward Liberal Democrats, at 35 Shakespeare Street, Southport PR8 5AB. Hosted by Blogspot, who do not know or endorse the contents of this posting.



Thursday, 20 December 2012

My Christmas Trolley Dash


I don't watch Coronation Street any more. I stopped when the Battersbys arrived.

Back in the days when I did watch, regularly, Ken Barlow, pictured above, had slithered down the employment ladder from the lofty heights of teaching to gathering the shopping trollies at Bettabuys supermarket in Wetherfied.

I seem to have followed a similar path myself.

Two years ago I was teaching at the last private school to exist in Southport. Like Ken I was a pillar of the local community. Parents sought my advice and I like to believe that I had a positive effect on the children I taught.

Then the recession came and Sunnymede School closed it's doors.

Whilst filling my role as a Sefton councillor I have spent many an hour on the Internet looking for part-time employment.

Recently I was lucky enough to gain a temporary position working part-time at a local supermarket, picking on-line orders over the busy Christmas period.

On Tuesday I was asked to cover a lunch break for an hour collecting trolleys from the car park.

One of the Supervisors asked how I was getting on and I shouted out that I was doing a Ken Barlow.

It was later that I began to wonder if she may have been puzzled by my comment. She probably didn't know that I too had been a teacher and she may not have been old enough to have seen Ken pushing his trollies.

My resemblance to Ken stops with the trollies. I have no children, I have only been married once and I have never been a member of the Labour party.






No comments:

Post a Comment